- This event has passed.
Farming for the Future 2019
March 20 @ 8:30 am - 3:00 pmFree
This event is free and lunch is provided.
6 RUP credits ♦ MAEAP Phase 1 Credit
Keynote speaker Gary Zimmer is Founder and Chief Visionary Officer of Midwestern BioAg. Known as the “father” of biological agriculture, Zimmer is an internationally known author, speaker, and consultant. He owns Otter Creek Organic Farm, a family-operated, award-winning 1,000-acre farm near Lone Rock, WI, and has been on the board of Taliesin Preservation Inc. since 2011. Zimmer is the author of several books, including The Biological Farmer and Advancing Biological Farming and numerous articles on soils and livestock nutrition. Gary holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and a master’s degree in Dairy Nutrition from the University of Hawaii.
Other topics include:
- Do I need a permit from DEQ to farm here? Wetland rules and regulations for farmers
- Best practices for grain spraying: more spray where you want it, less where you don’t!
- Best practices and cutting-edge tech for fruit and vegetable sprays
- Lessons from a farmer: One farm’s evolution toward soil health
- How to prevent the next SWD – Lessons from Pennsylvania management of Spotted Lanternfly and other invasive pests
- Transition to organic farming – the “What,” “Why” and “How”