- This event has passed.
Healthy Home Fair
September 12 @ 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Games, giveaways, music and snacks are just a few of the things people can look forward to at the Van Buren Conservation District’s “Healthy Home Fair” to be held September 12 at Ely Park in Hartford. The event is free and open to the public.
Attendees can enter free drawings for chances to win $25 grocery gift cards, a rain barrel and septic system pump-out vouchers. Other giveaways will include tote bags, pet care supplies, tap water testing coupons and more.
Staff will also be performing well water testing for nitrates on site. The screening is open to all Van Buren County residents that are on private water systems (non-municipal wells) for drinking water.
To sample your well please follow these directions:
- Pick a tap that supplies water that has not run through any treatment devices (water softener, carbon filter, RO system, etc.). An outdoor faucet often works well.
- Run the water for 20-30 minutes before collecting the sample to flush the water pressure tank and plumbing so you can collect a valid sample. Do not sample through a hose.
- Rinse the sample bottle and lid thoroughly in the water to be sampled; then fill and cap the bottle. Any clean container can be used for sample collection.
- Label the bottle clearly with your name, the sample date, and the well name (main home, back yard, barn, e.g.) using a waterproof pen.
- Keep the sample dark and cold for up to 24 hours before bringing it to the Healthy Home Fair for testing.
The fair is funded in part through the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality’s Nonpoint Source Program by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. For more information, contact the Van Buren Conservation District at 269-657-4030 x5.
Thank you to our sponsors!