- This event has passed.
Screening for Nitrates in Drinking Water
August 16 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
An event every day that begins at 8:00am, repeating until August 18, 2017
What is in Your Drinking Water?
Monday, August 14th thru Friday, August 18th between 8:00am to 4:30pm at the VBCD Office in Paw Paw. There is no cost to participate in this service.
The screening is sponsored by the VBCD and the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP).
MAEAP and the water screening program is paid for by funds generated from Michigan pesticide and fertilizer registration and tonnage fees.
The screening is open to all Van Buren residents that are on private water systems (non-municipal) for drinking water but is limited to 150 samples for the week.
To sample your well please follow these directions:
1. Pick a tap that supplies water that has not run through any treatment devices (water softener, carbon filter, RO system, etc.), an outdoor faucet often works well.
2. Run the water for 20-30 minutes before collecting the sample. This will give the pump time to flush the water pressure tank and plumbing so you can collect a valid sample. Disconnect any hoses before collecting the sample; do not sample through a hose.
3. Rinse the sample bottle and lid thoroughly in the water to be sampled; then fill and cap the bottle.
4. Label the bottle clearly with your name, the sample date, and the well name (ex. main home, back yard, barn) using a waterproof pen.
5. Keep the sample dark and cold for up to 24 hours before it is dropped off at 1035 East Michigan Ave. in Paw Paw.
If you have any questions please contact Kyle Mead at the VBCD by calling 269-657-4030 x116 or via email email@example.com. For a varitety of local places to get additional water testing please visit the VBCD website at www.VanBurenCD.org/resources/water-testing.