Why should you buy local?
- Help spur economic growth! Simply put, when you spend your dollars locally, the money circulates locally, positively impacting several businesses before it leaves the area. Spending the same amount of money at a large national chain has very little positive impact on the local economy.
- Know what’s in your food! Buying straight from local farmers gives you the opportunity to ask them important questions about how the food was grown, what farming practices were used and what’s really in your food.
- Local food can taste better and have more nutritional benefit! Studies show that the distance food travels from farm to table affects attributes like taste and nutrition.
- Help preserve open space and keep local farms in business! Buying form local farms helps keep smaller farms in business. This helps maintain our rural character and helps farmers afford to keep their farms operating and local jobs in place.
- Download a printable copy of the Local Food & Farm Guide
- Fruit & Vegetable Seasonal Availability Guide
- Local Farm Guide Location Map
- Online interactive & customizable google map
Visit the Van Buren Conservation District office (1035 E. Michigan Ave. Paw Paw) or any of the Farms, Farm Markets, or Businesses listed in the Guide to pick up your free copy while supply lasts!