The Conservation District and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) offer technical advice and assistance on tree planting and forest management. The Michigan NRCS Forestry site has many valuable resources on species selection, spacing and forest maintenance, including several very good MSU-Extension bulletins.
The VBCD has an Annual Tree & Shrub Seedling Selection every spring, which is offers a great variety of species at a very affordable price. Seedling catalogs are available early spring and pre-orders are taken up to a week before the sale in April. Pre-orders are encouraged to ensure your selection is available. Tree and shrub seedling selection varieties may vary year to year.
- Conservation Districts Forestry Assistance Program
- MSU Extension
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources
- U.S. Forest Service
- “Registered Foresters” are recognized by the State of Michigan
- “Certified Foresters” are certified by the Society of American Foresters
- “ACF Foresters” are members of the Association of Consulting Foresters
- Local list of Consulting Foresters that may be able to help.
- Local list of Arborists that may be able to help.
- SW x SW Corner Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area (SW x SW Corner CISMA) – or Contact Nor Serocki at the VBCD (269) 657-4030 x 5
- Midwest Invasive Species Information Network (MISIN)
- Michigan Natural Features Inventory (MNFI)
What Forest Pest/Invasive Species to LOOK OUT for!
- Asian Longhorned Beetle – Watch List- REPORT IMMEDIATELY!
- Balsam Woolly Adelgid – Watch List
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Gypsy Moth
- Hemlock Woolly Adelgid – Watch List
- Japanese Beetle
General Forestry Information
Forest Management Plans
- “Forest Stewardship Plan Writers” write Forest Stewardship Plans – Forest Stewardship Program (MDNR/USFS)
- “Technical Service Providers” write plans for the Environmental Quality Incentive Program or Conservation Activity Plans (NRCS)
- “Qualified Foresters” write plans for the Qualified Forest Program (QFP)
Property Tax Incentives
- Forest*A*Systs – (VBCD/MDARD) – Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP) – or Contact Kyle Mead at the VBCD (269) 657-4030 x 5
- American Tree Farm System (AFF)
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI)
Working Forest Easements
- Forest Legacy Program (MDRN/USFS)
- Thirty Michigan Land Conservancies
- Healthy Forest Reserve Program (NRCS)
- Farmland and Open Space Preservation (MDARD)
Before logging or selling your timber we suggest you talk to a professional forester and consider a Forest Management Plan to ensure the continuation of a healthy forest and woodlot.
- “Qualified Logging Professionals” are loggers trained by the Sustainable Forestry Initiative
- “Master Loggers” are trained, audited and certified by other professional loggers
- “Timber Buyers” may or may not be foresters or loggers, and they buy timber from landowners to sell to sawmills. Michigan Association of Timbermen, Great Lakes Timber Professionals Association
- Local Timber Buyers & Loggers that may be able to help.
- Landowner Incentive Program (MDNR)
- Hunter Access Program (VBCD/MDNR)
- Partners for Fish and Wildlife (USFWS)
- Trout Unlimited (TU)
- Ruffed Grouse Society
- Quality Deer Management Association
- Michigan United Conservation Clubs
*All programs and services of VBCD are provided on a non-discriminatory basis. The VBCD is not endorsing or recommending any of the listed service providers over another but listing local businesses and organizations that we are aware of that provide such service.